Friday, May 21, 2010

39 Weeks!


Your Baby:

One uncomfortable complaint of late pregnancy is frequent hiccups. No, not you, your baby. Because there is no air around your baby, when he practices breathing, it can cause amniotic fluid to get into his windpipe, resulting in those regularly spaced thumps that make you think you're carrying a jumping bean in your belly. Other news this week:
The lanugo (an exotic word for soft, downy hair) that used to cover your baby's body has mostly disappeared, but you may find a bit leftover on the shoulders, forehead and neck. Don't freak and think you've given birth to a monkey: It'll fall out soon.
The color of baby's skin is changing from a red-pink hue to a white or blue-pink color (even in babes with dark skin). These changes are due to the amount of fat your little pudger is putting on. The circumference of your baby's head and abdomen are about the same size now (though you may not be able to tell if your baby's born with the common cone-shaped head!).
The placenta is lending your Mini antibodies that'll keep him strong and healthy after birth. That said, it's still a good idea to invest in that mega-size bottle of hand sanitizer.
At this point your little critter is about 19 to 20 inches long and weights about 7 pounds. That's just around the size of a large rabbit. What's up Doc?

Baby Belly:
















Baby Momma:

I had my appointment with Dr. Ortique yesterday. :/ It didn't go as I had planned. Baby boy looks wonderful, he once again passed his non-stress test with flying colors. The doctor checked me, and to my dismay, said that I have not progressed since last week. :( I was quite sad. I want to go into labor on my own. I want to be able to stay at home and labor as long as I can, and then make my way to the hospital. I want to try to have this baby sans pain meds. An induction does not lend to "my plan" very well, but unfortunately, thats the conversation I found myself in yesterday with Dr. Ortique. She said that right now, my cervix is "not favorable" since I am not making progress. Not great words to hear because most women that have "non-favorable" cervix's that get induced end up with a c-section because of failure to progress. :(  We all know a c-section is the last thing I want to endure, since it is the furthest thing there is from natural childbirth!

So, that being said, here is the plan.

I have another appointment with the good doctor on Monday. She is going to check me again, as well as do an ultrasound to make sure that there is enough amniotic fluid surrounding the baby. If everything looks good, then she will give me until Thursday evening to go into labor naturally. If I don't, I have to show up to the hospital Thursday night to begin my induction. We are going to start with 1 of 2 medications, either Cytotec or Cervidil depending on the condition of my cervix. Both drugs work relatively the same way. Dan and I will check into the hospital, they will place the medication to "ripen" my cervix. In other words, to try to promote dilation and effacement. We will stay the night, and hopefully that will be enough to put me into labor. If not, the next thing to do would be to get me started on Pitocin first thing Friday morning. So, more than likely, if I do end up being induced, this little boy will be making his appearance on May, 28th, his due date. :D

Of course, Dan and I are praying that I go into labor naturally and that all of this silly induction talk will be all for not. We would love for you to join us in this prayer. Our desire is for as natural a childbirth as possible. But above that, our desire is for a healthy baby and momma. So whatever it takes, we are on board. Thats about it. We are patiently waiting, and hoping and praying. We are "nesting" away and getting a lot of things done, as well as taking this time to rest and enjoy.

On a positive note, I finally know my last night of work! Tuesday night I work, and then begin my maternity leave! WooHoo!!! That is, unless I go into labor before then. ;)

We love you guys and hope to be sharing the good news of our son's arrival very soon.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO


3 comments:

  1. We'll be praying! Love you, girl!

    {hmm...the little thing captcha thing said, "fulnests" ~ I think it's a sign of many little Paynes to come...I know, let's just have Isaac first, huh?!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    I am definitely praying for you. Especially because I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I desperately wanted to go into labor on my own and be at home as long as possible and have an unmedicated birth. But, TEN days after my due date, my baby girl was still not here! We tried everything to put me into labor (and i mean everything :-)). I ended up getting cytotec and then pitocin. If it is any encouragement to you, I progressed from 2-10cm in 5 hours. I also had NO plans for an epidural, but (as you well know), pitocin was causing hard contractions with no breaks in between. I had no time to rest. I made it to 6cm and couldn't take it anymore. After a short (trying to be rational) conversation with my sweet hubby, I got an epidural. Even though I was in pain, I was devastated that we made that decision. This was not the plan! I hated that things didn't go exactly as they had played out in my mind! I think for a while I mourned the loss of "the plan" more than anything. For so long I had it in my head that my labor and delivery was going to go a certain way and then it ended up being very opposite from what I desired. But what I learned is that God is in control and that He is good. He provided me with an awesome nurse, a quick labor and most of all a PRECIOUS baby girl. All this to say that whatever happens trust that His ways are higher!
    OK, is this like the longest comment ever or what?! I will go now. We can NOT wait to see pics of sweet baby Isaac!

    Crystal S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SOOOOOO incredibly excited & can't wait to meet Isaac (& hear the birth story)!

    ReplyDelete